Motorcyclist banned for drink-driving

A motorcyclist who crashed into a car while more than 2 times the legal alcohol limit was fined and banned from the roads.

Daniel Farrar, from Southampton, pleaded guilty in Magistrates Court to driving while over the alcohol limit in Warwick on November 19.

Prosecutor Larissa Burgess said police officers attended a two-vehicle crash on South Road. They found a bike across the centre line, with groceries and clothes strewn in the road and a car in the eastbound lane at the entrance to Upland Lane.

Farrar, 37, identified himself as the rider of the bike and officers noticed his speech was slurred and he smelled of alcohol.

He had a grazed cheek and was taken by ambulance to hospital, where he could not remember what had happened but admitted that he had drunk two pints of cider.

Officers also spoke to the driver of the car who told them he was turning into Upland Lane when the bike hit him from behind.

Farrar was arrested and agreed to give a sample of breath at Hamilton Police Station.

The lower reading showed he had 229 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood the legal limit is 80mg.

In court, Farrar said: I understand the seriousness of my actions. He added that he had undergone counselling for his drinking and asked magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo to let him keep his licence.

Mr Tokunbo said: Its good that you have taken actions to address your circumstances.

It is unfortunate that you first had to be caught to recognise the seriousness of the matter.

He added that the offence attracted a mandatory ban and that he saw no special reason to make an exception.

Mr Tokunbo fined Farrar $1,200 and disqualified him from driving for 18 months.

In a separate case, 59-year-old Antonio Toussaint was also fined $1,200 and banned from the roads for 18 months.

Toussaint, from Warwick, pleaded guilty to driving while over the alcohol limit on Ord Road in Warwick on December 8.

Ms Burgess said officers attended a two-vehicle crash near Glenwood Park Crescent at about 7.30pm.

They found a taxi and a One Communications van with front and rear end damage in the eastbound lane. Toussaint identified himself as the driver of the van and officers noted that his speech was slurred and his breath smelled of alcohol.

Asked if he had been drinking, Toussaint said: Yes, I had a Heineken 30 minutes ago.

He was arrested and taken to Hamilton Police Station, where a breath test showed he had 223mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood.

It is The Royal Gazettes policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.