Man to face trial for threatening his father
A man who threatened to kill the Premier is still behind bars — because he must face another trial for threatening his father.
Jared Gordon, 30, was sentenced to a year in prison, which he has already served, for the threats to David Burt, but the Supreme Court said that it was concerned about his possible release from custody on the second charge.
Gordon had told the courts he intended to stay with his parents if released on bail, but the court heard he is to face a Magistrates’ Court trial for the alleged threats to his father, Leroy Gordon.
Puisne Judge Charles-Etta Simmons said Gordon could not be further held in custody on the first conviction, but that the court did not want to see him released to stay with his parents because of the second charge.
She added that Gordon had been remanded in custody for the Magistrates’ Court case, so he would remain in custody until the case was heard.
Mrs Justice Simmons said: “Clearly a solution must be found; housing for you somewhere other than your parents.
“This court is not going to release you on a probation order where you will be listing your fixed address as your parents’ house when there is a case involving your parents.”
Gordon told the court his parents had said he could return to the family home and that they did not want to proceed with the case against him.
Court services, however, said that Gordon’s parents had told them otherwise.
Karen Deane, for the Crown, said she had been given no indication that Gordon’s father had asked to withdraw the charge.
She added: “If he is released and goes back to that address, there is going to be a problem.”
Simone Smith-Bean, who appeared for Gordon, told the court she had spoken to his parents yesterday morning before the hearing and they had agreed to let him return to the family home.
Mrs Smith-Bean added: “This has been a difficult thing for them as well. They don’t have to let him come back home.
“They have agreed to let him come back home, but I don’t know how long that is going to last.”
Mrs Justice Simmons adjourned the case until February 21, and said that Gordon’s father should be asked to attend the hearing.
She also warned Gordon not to contact his parents until then.
Gordon wrote a series of e-mails in 2017 and 2018 when he threatened to “put a hole” in the Premier’s head and that he would to behead him with a hacksaw.
He pleaded guilty to the offences last year.
Gordon, who lived in England at the time of the offences, was arrested in May 2018 when he returned to the island.
He was remanded in custody until August 23 last year, released, but remanded again on November 21 because of the charge involving his father.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Mixed emotions as airport reopens
Woman denies $75,000 blackmail scheme
Jury selection rule called unfair
Cousins charged over checkpoint crash
Restaurateur adopts wait-and-see approach
Warwick teen denies stealing pills, alcohol
Injured soldier ‘out of surgery’
Businesses left reeling by loss of Cup Match
BPSU agrees to pay cut
Dismont departs Family Centre with a warning
‘It’s just not going to be the same’
‘Doom and gloom’ was not theme of my speech
OutBermuda voices support for police officer
Best backs statue in UK for football pioneer
Take Our Poll