Elderly woman helps fight off armed robber
Three women, including an 81-year-old, thwarted a robbery when an armed man targeted a liquor store in Hamilton Parish.
Police said the suspect went into Howzat on North Shore Road at about 8.40am on Sunday “brandishing an unknown object covered by a white cloth”, possibly a firearm.
The man demanded money from a staff member, a 57-year-old woman from Smith’s, and a struggle broke out. She was helped by her 81-year-old mother as well as her colleague, a 28-year-old Warwick woman.
The would-be robber was forced to flee empty-handed on an unknown motorcycle along North Shore Road.”
He said none of the three were seriously hurt but the 57-year-old woman suffered scrapes to her arms during the struggle. The suspect is black, slim, about 5ft 8in and wore dark clothing and helmet.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Criminal Investigation Department on 247-1744 or CrimeStoppers on 800-8477.
• UPDATE: This story was updated to include extra information provided by the Bermuda Police Service
‘Deplorable conditions’ at housing complex
Burt to ditch traditional Throne Speech
Local businesses teed up for PGA event
International criminals ‘targeting Bermuda’
Maiden Re plans move from Bermuda to US
D’ezir dressed for success
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive