Crime

Police arrest two men over Warwick shooting

  • Crime update: Detective Inspector Kenten Trott at the press conference yesterday (Photograph by Blaire Simmons)
  • Police at the crime scene on Friday File photograph by Blaire Simmons

Two people were being held by police yesterday over the shooting of a 33-year-old man in Warwick on Friday.

Detective Inspector Kenten Trott said items of jewellery had been taken from the victim in the attack.

Three men struck at about 5.20pm in a “busy commercial and residential area” on Middle Road with children in the “immediate vicinity”.

Mr Trott added: “The suspects in this matter had no regards for anyone when they committed this senseless act.”

Two suspects fled the scene in an awaiting car while another escaped on foot and headed for St Mary’s Road.

The victim, who was said to be conscious, remained in hospital.

Mr Trott said police had executed “a number of warrants” at different locations around the island, and now had two people assisting with their investigation.

He added: “This happened in the middle of the afternoon in a busy area.

“There were a number of people present and some were visibly upset about what took place.”

Mr Trott said the first suspect was tall, slim, light-skinned and wearing a black and tan jacket with gloves, dark trousers and sneakers.

The second was described as short, slim, dark-skinned and wearing a black short-sleeved shirt, dark trousers and sneakers.

The third suspect was described as light-skinned, wearing a white T-shirt with dark trousers.

Mr Trott declined to say what had prompted the attack. He said: “We’re looking at all aspects of potentially what happened, where it happened, why it happened — everything like that.”

Mr Trott thanked those who had come forward to help, but asked anyone with information to call the serious crime unit at 247-1739 or the police call centre on 211.

Anyone with information can also use the confidential and anonymous Crime Stoppers hotline at 800-8477.