The fire service has issued safety advice on electrical space heaters.
• keep heating equipment at least 3ft away from anything that can burn;
• do not plug power cords into an extension cord;
• turn off heaters when you leave a room or go to bed;
• inspect for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections;
• avoid using or storing flammable or combustible liquids nearby.
The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service said in a statement: “Fire is fast. In less than 30 seconds a small flame can turn into a major fire.
“It only takes minutes for thick black smoke to fill a house or for it to be engulfed in flames.”
For more information, e-mail FireProtection@gov.bm.
• To see the advice flyer, click on the PDF under “Related Media”