St David’s Cricket Club condemns violence

Officials at an island cricket club yesterday insisted they had zero tolerance for antisocial behaviour after two men were hurt in a brawl at their ground.

They were speaking after a fight erupted in the early hours of the morning after a memorial event for a “valued and cherished member” at St David’s Cricket Club.

The fight broke out between two groups of men — some believed to have bladed weapons — in the car park after the club had closed. Two of the men were later treated in hospital for their injuries.

The club said it did not want the attack to damage the reputation of the area or spoil any good memories.

Stephen Tucker, club secretary, said it had “sincere regret” about the incident, which happened early on Monday morning.

He said: “The night’s event was meant to be a tribute celebrating the birthday of a valued and cherished member of our close-knit community and our organisation, who has passed away.

“The executive can confirm that the venue had already closed down and staff were directing patrons off of the property when the incident occurred.”

He added: “We do not want the community at large to confuse this most unfortunate incident as to mar any positive memory or the reputation of the St David’s community as a whole.

“The management and membership will not tolerate any antisocial behaviour at the club or in our community.

“Please be assured that we are assisting the Bermuda Police Service regarding this incident to the fullest of our ability.”

Mr Tucker said the club’s management would “continue to strive for the safety of all patrons that come to our facility — that come to our home”.

He added: “As always, we look forward to welcoming the general public to more positive community-based events at our facility.

“The executive would also like to wish all those impacted by this event a speedy recovery.”

The Bermuda Police Service appealed for information about the incident, which was the second to happen near a cricket club inside 24 hours.

A police spokesman said some of the men involved in the 1.15am “altercation” at the St David’s club were reported “to be brandishing bladed articles”.

Two men, aged 23 and 36, were treated in hospital and later discharged.

The clash followed an incident near the gates of Somerset Cricket Club, where a 34-year-old Sandys man was injured when he was attacked by several others with “blunt objects”.

He was taken to hospital by ambulance after the attack in Cricket Lane just before 3am on Sunday.

Vashun Blanchette, the club’s president, emphasised the incident happened outside the ground, which had closed nearly six hours earlier.

He added: “It’s just unfortunate that whatever transpired happened in our area — it wasn’t following an event that we were hosting.

“It could well have happened 100 metres up the road.”