A woman died after a house fire yesterday, police confirmed last night. The 74-year-old victim was rushed to the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital after she was found unconscious, but later pronounced dead.
Sergeant Allan Wilkinson of the Bermuda Fire & Rescue Services said: “There wasn’t a lot of extensive fire damage, although there was a lot of smoke damage.”
He added: “It appears to have started in the kitchen ... it was pretty smoke-logged throughout the apartment.”
The fire happened at an apartment on Verdmont Valley Drive in Smith’s about 5pm.
Residents in the area said they were shocked to see fire service crews at the house as they returned home from work.
One said: “I had no idea what was going on.”
A woman said she heard sirens, but was not aware the blaze was on her own street. She added: “That’s awful; this is a quiet neighbourhood, very family orientated.”
A police spokesman said: “An investigation regarding the circumstances of this sudden death, as well as the cause of the fire is under way by the Bermuda Police Service and the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Services.”
He said no further information about the woman would be provided until next of kin were notified. A BFRS spokesman said medics and firefighters had given first aid before the woman was taken to hospital.
He added: “Fire personnel also ventilated the heavily smoke logged apartment.”