X-Roads held by Wolves

  • Jarye Bean, the X-Roads defender, sticks out a boot to knock the ball away from Shacoi Daniels of Wolves yesterday at the BFA Field (Photograph by Lawrence Trott)

X-Roads blew their chance to clinch the First Division title yesterday after St Davidís gave them a helping hand by beating Young Menís Social Club at Lordís.

However, X-Roads will have to wait until two weeks before being confirmed as champions after they could only manage a 1-1 draw with Wolves in a match switched from Police Field to BFA Field at the Clyde Best Centre of Excellence.

X-Roads still need a point in their final match against Paget Lions on April 2 to seal the title.

After a minuteís silence was observed for former Wolves player Raymond Butterfield, Wolves took just 47 seconds to break the deadlock when Steven Bremar slotted home.

X-Roads equalised in the 66th minute when Jorge Sanchez, just on as a substitute, spotted goalkeeper Jahhi Shakir off his line and hit a long-range shot over his head.

Paul Simons then had two efforts ruled out in the space of two minutes as X-Roads were denied a late winner. The first effort was called back for offside and the second for a foul on Torry Davis, the Wolves player-coach.

St Davidís beat Social Club 4-1 loss at Lordís where Diego McCallan scored twice, while Andrew Paynter also got on the scoresheet.

Otis Minors, a second-half substitute, closed out the scoring.

Paget thrashed Hamilton Parish 8-3 with DeMarlo Curtis hitting four goals, while Kushae Hypolite scored twice and Dion Stovell and Koshun Durrant got one apiece. Stovell opened the scoring after just 28 seconds before Curtis scored three times, completing his hat-trick with a penalty.

Curtis and Hypolite added a goal apiece in the second half before Hypolite missed from the penalty spot. Durrant closed out the scoring in the 89th minute. Parish, who started with ten men, got goals from Caylon Wade, Tareek Webb, with a penalty, and Romone Smith.

Donovan Thompson netted twice as St Georgeís beat Ireland Rangers 4-1 at Malabar Field, while Southampton Rangers failed to field a team for their home match against BAA.