Butterfield signs for Leamington on loan

  • New challenge: Butterfield is looking forward to testing himself in menís football (Photograph courtesy of Walsall FC)

Milan Butterfield, the Walsall midfielder, has joined Vanarama National League North side Leamington on a one-month loan.

The 19-year-old, who penned a new one-year deal with Walsall over the summer, made his debut as a second-half substitute in Leamingtonís 2-1 defeat at home to Tamworth in the second game of the season last night.

Butterfield signed for Sky Bet League One side Walsall on an initial one-year deal in June last year and was a key part of the clubís developmental squad as they won the Walsall Senior Cup last season.

The Bermuda Under-20 player said he is looking forward to testing himself in competitive games at Leamington.

ďJust to play menís football is very exciting for me,Ē Butterfield said. ďI just want to see what I can do, and do the best I can. I want to get games and get more experience. I spoke to the gaffer [Paul Holleran] and heís said heís excited to get me there.Ē

Butterfield, who was recommended to Walsall by former fansí favourite Kyle Lightbourne, said he has settled well to life in the Black Country.

ďIím very happy to be here for another season,Ē said the former Robin Hood player. ďIíve got good friends here, itís a nice area and itís good football. Itís kind of a culture shock coming over from Bermuda ó it was very different for me. Iíve stayed on my own and done stuff I havenít had to do back at home. Iíve got over it now and I think Iím good! Iíve grown as a person here.Ē

n Meanwhile, Reggie Lambe played the full match in Carlisle Unitedís 2-1 victory away to Fleetwood Town in extra-time in the first round of the EFL Cup yesterday.

Carlisle led at the break through Shaun Millerís shot, which took a deflection. Fleetwood took the game into extra time when Jordy Hiwula converted Lewie Coyleís cross from close range. Tom Miller headed Carlisle back in front from a corner and they held on against ten men after Harvey Rodgers was sent off for a second yellow card.