Stovell hits hat-trick for Paget

  • BAA’s Laquan Thomas decides on his next move as Vernon Lambe of Devonshire Colts marks him closely at Police Field (Photograph by Lawrence Trott)

BAA took sole possession of first place in the First Division after a comfortable 3-0 victory over Devonshire Colts at Police Field yesterday.

Tyrell Burgess opened the scoring in the fourth minute when he got his free kick from outside of the box up and under after Colts conceded a foul deep in their own half.

Shomari Simons made it 2-0 12 minutes later with a fierce angled drive that slipped through the goalkeeper’s fingertips.

Morricko Iris then made the points safe for BAA with a brilliant 77th-minute strike. The former Southampton Rangers and Wolves forward controlled a cross in the box and sidestepped a defender before slotting under the goalkeeper.

The loss was the first of the season of Colts who were relegated from the top flight last season. BAA were able to put some distance between themselves and the chasing pack as St George’s, tied with BAA on six points going into the weekend, also suffered their first loss when Dion Stovell’s hat-trick at Southampton Oval gave Paget Lions a 3-2 victory.

Stovell netted in the sixteenth and 41st minutes to give Paget a 2-0 lead at the half, before St George’s hit back with goals from Macai Simmons and Jahron Dickinson in the 51st and 59th minutes.

Paget were reduced to ten men in the 61st minute when defender McQuinn Burch was sent off for a second booking, having been cautioned in the 34th minute.

However, the home team were not to be denied as Stovell completed his hat-trick in the 84th minute to seal the victory.

Southampton Rangers lost valuable ground on the leaders when they had to settle for a 0-0 draw against Wolves at Devonshire Recreation Club.

Rangers, who dominated throughout and did everything but find the net, were frustrated by their opponents as they were held to their second draw of the season.

Somerset Eagles picked up their second win when they beat Hamilton Parish 2-1 at Wellington Oval, leaving Parish without a point at the bottom of the table along with Ireland Rangers who were beaten 5-2 by St David’s at Malabar Field on Saturday.