BAA take top spot in emphatic fashion

  • Paget goalkeeper Tariq Smith smothers the ball as BAA striker Marcus Brangman closes in on goal. Brangman netted his team’s third goal in a 5-0 rout of the league leaders at Southampton Oval (Photograph by Lawrence Trott)

BAA returned to the top of the First Division after thrashing leaders Paget Lions 5-0 at Southampton Oval yesterday.

Paget found themselves trailing 4-0 at the half before BAA hit a late fifth goal after the home side had been reduced to ten men with the sending off of Dion Stovell in the 64th minute.

Paget went into the match without goalkeeper Jason Smith and captain Jensen Rogers after they picked up bookings against St George’s last weekend.

Tariq Smith, the Paget goalkeeper, was beaten in the twelfth and sixteenth minutes when Shane Simmons scored twice.

Mical Hardtman made it 3-0 in the 31st minute before Drewonde Bascome netted the fourth in the 39th minute. Substitute Marcus Brangman scored in the 82nd minute.

“It’s a good time to take over first place, but we can’t take anything for granted,” BAA coach Andrew Bascome said. “We have to continue to work, be disciplined and adapt to situations.

“When we play Paget there are a couple of things that concern me: Jason’s big kick and Dion Stovell,” added Bascome, who put the emphasis on keeping Stovell quiet. In the end Stovell got frustrated and was sent off for a second caution.

“Everything was on Stovell so it was only right that we gave him special attention,” Bascome said. “I picked the most disciplined player we have because while I know Dion is talented. I also know I can frustrate him.

“We shut him out and played a sweeper, and then he got sent off.”

Southampton Rangers lost the chance to move level on points with Paget when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Somerset Eagles at White Hill Field.

St David’s thrashed eight-man Wolves 8-0 at St David’s, scoring seven times in the second half after Diego McCallan netted a hat-trick in just three minutes.

Jerome Usher opened the scoring for St David’s in the 28th minute and then doubled the lead early in the second half before Wanli Ming, Isaiah Creighton and Shannon Swan added further goals.

Winless Hamilton Parish took a surprise sixteenth minute lead against St George’s at Wellington Oval through Raekwon Hare. St George’s, who had only 11 players show up while Parish had 13, came back to win 3-1, with Sagé Paynter scoring in the 59th minute before Donavan Thompson made sure of the victory with goals in the 73rd and 79th minutes. Ireland Rangers beat Devonshire Colts 5-3 to move ahead of Wolves near the bottom of the tables.