Simmons maintains Hood’s perfect start

  • Captain fantastic: Lejuan Simmons of Robin Hood is congratulated by teammates Philip Parsons and Liam Evans after scoring the game's only game against Dandy Town at St John's Field yesterday (Photograph by Lawrence Trott) .

Dandy Town 0 Robin Hood 1

Robin Hood maintained their winning start to the season, but they needed a lone second-half strike from captain Lejuan Simmons to claim the points against a battling Dandy Town team yesterday.

Fans turning out at St John’s Field can be forgiven for anticipating lots of goals from two teams that have managed 38 goals between them in just eight league and cup games already.

In the end, the Bermuda international converted the game’s only goal to give Hood their fifth straight win and leave Town still without a win in the league after three games.

Town held their own against their in-form opponents, who are fresh off a 5-0 rout of Boulevard in midweek in the Dudley Eve Trophy, and at times looked the more likely to score.

“To me, Dandy Town shaded the chances to be honest, they are a good team and we knew today we were going to be in for a fight,” Hood coach John Barry Nusum said. “It was one of those games where I didn’t think we played to the best of our potential, but we come away with the victory and the three points.

“To be honest, frustration did creep in, but it wasn’t due to the lack of goals, I don’t think we were playing the type of football that we are capable of. It was a good game, two top teams and luckily for us we edged it.”

The first half was evenly contested, but few in the way of clear-cut chances as the two goalkeepers, Cymande Davis of Town and Hood’s Antoine Russell, didn’t have a save to make.

The second half started more promisingly with Hood’s Tomiko Goater wasting a good chance against his former team when he side-footed wide from a good position after being set up by Chae Brangman from Simmons’s cross on the right.

At the other end, Town went close when Jahtino Richardson-Martin’s free kick was just wide.

Town were looking the more likely to score at this point and almost did a couple of minutes later in the 57th minute from another free kick.

This one, on the left corner of the box, saw captain Angelo Simmons’s effort beat Russell before smashing against the crossbar.

Russell managed to keep a second straight clean sheet as Hood held on for the three points following Simmons’s opener 16 minutes later, scoring from a narrow angle after running through into the box on the left side before playing his right-footed shot past Davis.

Lowe went close to equalising six minutes later when his left-footed shot was blocked by Jahlon Bather inside the box before Lowe then swung the rebound into the six-yard box with his right foot, only to watch the cross go inches past the far post.

Davis was booked later for a deliberate handball outside the box as he challenged striker Brangman.

Three Hood players were also booked, defender Casey Castle, Goater and Shakir Smith for delaying the restart after taking too long to leave the field when he was substituted in the 66th minute.

“Lee Lee [Lejuan Simmons] came through in a key moment and that’s what football is about,” Nusum said.

“We get a rest now with the international break, then come back after that.”


Robin Hood

Lejuan Simmons


Dandy Town (3-5-2): C Davis — A Furbert, J Richardson-Martin, S Darrell — E Blankendal, J Furbert (sub: C Darrell, 69), R Trott, J Chapman (sub: J Swan, 84), O Lowe — A Simmons, K Steede.

Substitutes not used: L Emery, T Lowe, N Smith, J Amory, J Roser.

Booked: Davis.

Robin Hood (4-3-3): A Russell — C Castle, L Evans, J Bather, A Bell — T Goater, P Parsons (sub: T Tyrell, 75), C Ryan — L Simmons (sub: J Corday, 92), S Smith (sub: D Williams, 66).

Substitutes not used: A Nelson, J Pereira, J Nusum.

Booked: Castle, S Smith, Goater.

Referee: M Wyer